Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Happiness

I rode tonight, and it was the first time since last Sunday. I was a bit nervous for the ride because I didn't know what was going to happen, but Spyder had a great attitude (excluding one kick out because he was angry to get a spur - maybe he should have moved over)!

When I got to the farm, someone that feeds asked if I had seen his cut on his face. NO?! What the heck happened when I was in Florida (for work, not fun... but I wish)? Well, it seems that his halter came off in the field (no where to be found and I walked the WHOLE thing twice and searched EVERYWHERE), and someone put a random halter on him to bring him in to eat. Since it was "regular" horse sized (he's a stb so he's got a big head), it was too tight. That, of course, wasn't going to stop him from eating so it seems like he must have rubbed of hair/skin with the buckle when chewing. My poor horse! I feel like such a bad owner having traveled for work because I have no idea how long this was an open, nasty cut! I unbuckled the halter around his muzzle and it had skin and hair all over it, gross. I put Corona ointment on it since it didn't seem to bother him and rode without a nose band. I know, I know... it's called I got to the farm, let's do it because I drove all the way here, we haven't had a ride in over a week, and we have a clinic tomorrow.

The lack of a nose band didn't bother him, and he rode off quite alarmed that other horses were galloping around after feeding time because they were out in their fields alone. Add to the mix the deer on the track, and I was a nervous mess. I know horses can sense the fear in the rider, but I couldn't help it. What if he took off? What if he had a fit or tried to head back to the barn? WELL, he didn't run off, but I do think he thought about it. We stopped on the track (per his request/refusal to move forward), and his ears were back... he wanted to go back, but we pushed forward towards the big field. I kicked and hoped for the best. The deer out there were just as exciting as the galloping horses and deer on the track so we rode in the dressage arena.

We rode on half the ring and changed up what we were doing. Figure eights are great for making him think, and they make me think about my posting so we both had a task to keep our minds off of being nervous. A few loops and he was back to the calm, lazy Spyder that I enjoy so much. I know he was feeding off of me, and that is my fault 100%. He's so good to the left so we worked more to the right. Why won't he get off that leg? It's my weaker side which causes an issue so quarter lines reenforced the "get off" and "move over." Since he reacted to the inside leg at times, he got a break from the pressure. It was great to know he sat for over a week and came back so quickly. It's a much better feeling than last year when I could get back on the very next day and not know what to expect. I feel like I can expect the same old Spyder after a few mental exercises for relaxation and calming of us both. When life gets in the way, I'm happy I have a horse that can snap back so quickly.

I am hoping the clinic with the event rider doesn't go so bad tomorrow, but we shall see! :) Below, I posted two pictures of our first "adventure" together to the other property at our barn (2 doors down). They had a jumper show, and I had just had him a few months. Somehow, we worked up the courage to ride to the other barn all alone, and this could/might happen tomorrow for the clinic. Ahh!

Also need to add that at the end of the ride, I steered towards what South Jersey calls a "hill" aka, a low rising pile of dirt, and Spyder tripped up it... coordination right there! haha

October 2011 - I only had him a few months.
Remembering how proud I was and still am! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!