Sunday, September 29, 2013

Thursday Night's Ride

Thursday night, the horses were starting to get fed so I let Spyder eat first. Again, he was eating like it was his last meal. While he was eating, I decided to clean up my dressage saddle so I could ride in it. Since I committed to schooling Intro A on Saturday and I still had NO idea what the pattern was or where those letters can be found! Anyways, I thought that my dressage saddle was going to have stirrup leathers that were too long, but they were perfect. I worked in the round pen since I couldn't seem to find my safety stirrup rubber bands, and I wanted to use them in the event I didn't ride in the saddle well. It is SO comfortable! Spyder seemed to move in it just fine as I lunged him for a minute to see if he was comfortable.

He's always thrilled
He was bending perfectly and listening to every leg cue, awesome!!! ...until it all fell apart. He was doing w/t so well that I decided to see how the canter felt in my new (last summer purchase, and still had yet to use it) saddle. It puts me in a great spot for my posture, leg, and back so I can sit nice and tall to ask. Asking had gotten a TON better... he gets it! We're back to the kicking out issue. UGH! Last week, you probably read my post about coming off (in my jumping saddle which is forward to begin with), and yesterday, he was trying to get me on the ground again. I got kicking out in BOTH directions, and kept pushing him through and making him go on until he stopped. I was getting tired so I decided to hop off and see how he was without me on him. Perfect. No bucking/kicking out, and jumping the mounting block and water tub like a pro (crazy horse).

Oxers? No problem.
I got back on, and we got more kicking out so I worked him until he was too tired to do it. I was at the farm and working in the dark, oh joy. And this was supposed to be a quick ride to practice for Saturday? I cooled him out for a while because he was so hot/sweaty, and then he was just too cute in his stall. How could such an evil horse turn around and be so sweet again? I posted on Facebook with, "My ride started off with 'omg, I love this dressage saddle and Spyder bends so well!' and ended with 'I hate this horse today!' And so the questions come... what's wrong?

-Is he young and trying to get one over on me?
-Is he hurt? If so, what is bothering him?
-Does my saddle fit properly? If not, what do I need to do in order to find a fitter?
-Am I nagging him with my spur which is setting him off?
-Is something wrong with his teeth?
-Is his leg bothering him so he is exploding? He's not phased when I'm not on him.
-Is he frustrated because it's hard?
-Was working in the round pen too small?
-Is this just a phase like it was before?

All of these questions frighten me. I can't pinpoint what the issue is, and it seems like a lot is in the way of figuring it out. What steps do I take to start the process? The vet is coming on October 8 so I am looking to start there. Suggestions? This is all overwhelming and makes it hard to think about. Leading up to the saddle fitting issue, those bumps are still there. They are not sores, and they did not lose hair. They don't bother him, and I just don't get it. Then, I noticed that Spyder's winter coat is starting to come back in. Where the pad goes, there are a lot of white hairs. Is the saddle too tight? Is the pad irritating him? What's going on? Why now? He has filled out and gotten a lot of muscle so it COULD be the reason, too. I'm so stressed, and I'm probably just over thinking it. Let's hope that Saturday goes well.

Oh, and April has a blog about her Standardbred, Shadow. Check it out!

4 comments:

  1. I would start with a saddle fitter. Saddles feel different with someone in them. And as someone who dealt with saddle fitting issues for several months, it can effect a lot of stuff. If your saddle fit at an earlier time and he's put on muscle, it will change how it fits. Because he is kicking out, I would think it is something physical, rather than teeth related. It may be that working in the round pen, where he is forced into a smaller circle, is causing the saddle to pinch when maybe it doesn't at another time. Anyway, I would start there.


    Congrats on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the advice and the congrats! I'm going to work out things based on that list I have and go from there... I am excited and worried for the vet visit, but I know that we'll get through it. It just upsets me to think I'm doing something that makes him uncomfortable. He could very well just have young crabby horse syndrome!

      Delete
  2. It could be almost ALL of those things you listed. Many young horses do not have much tolerance for being uncomfortable - which could be when things are different, when they are asked to work a little harder than they ever have (aka on a smaller circle, or longer sessions, or bigger gaits, or smaller gaits...or [just insert the request here]) When the going gets tough, things like saddle fit, bridle fit, sweat, pads, bugs, rain, sun, wind etc can become big irritants. I'm not saying to blow off the saddle fit- it is definitely important.And yes, he could be sore, and yes, you should explore it to see if there is something bugging him.

    And when you press the issue, and they say no, if the young horse thinks he "wins" he'll try again, and stick it out until he wins again. This is what they do with each other.

    I'm not saying to ignore it, or push him through pain, or even work him harder to prove a point. I'm saying you need to win, even while figuring out what is bugging him.

    I had to go through this with Ben, and now with my young horse, Finn. Ben was pretty resistant to my leg aid -he reacted by kicking out. I didn't punish him for it, but I growled at him and asked again. He's kinda nerdy and it worked. My young horse Finn? Almost every week or two he tries something new. Bucking, rearing, kicking, slamming on the breaks, not steering, "spooking". When he decides he doesn't want to do what i am requesting- be it walking away from another horse, or asking for a canter, or going across the diagonal- whatever it is, he always picks something. And every time, I have to ride him through it, and after a few tries, he gives it up completely. I now know his routine. Believe me, I've had him checked out from head to toe and there not a single thing wrong with him. But watching him out with his buddies- guess what, he tries horsey-games with them too.

    So yes, do check things out. Make sure your tack fits, because you need it to. And you need to be 100% sure of yourself because if you have doubts in your head, he'll take advantage of you. You are naturally one step-down if you have these thoughts.

    Its not about being mean, angry, abusive -none of these things. You never have to be harsh. But you do have to be persistent, and to be persistent, you have to be 100% sure of it. And he has got to give you a "try" He'll be happier once he does, too. Horses like having someone to follow, he just needs to know you know what is best and not to question it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Allyson! I really appreciate our chat, too. It means so much to know that someone else out there understands and knows that I go through on a daily basis.. Standardbred or not, they all have something! :) Get back to NJ to see your family and let me know when you're here!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!