Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Still Nothing - But Happy 3 Years!

As of yesterday, Spyder and I have been a team for 3 years! Although we haven't always been the best team, the past year has made such a difference in our partnership and things were finally coming together...

So I had a bad ride that I talked about in my last post, but a better ride the time after. What the heck? Can anything ever stay stable so I can really get into what may be causing this lameness? This time, swelling. The fetlock is puffy like a windpuff might be, but the pastern has some swelling just above the back of the hoof. So I'm thinking: 1)Is this the problem and I'm finally seeing it? 2) Is this associated swelling? The answer? #2. GREAT.

Anyways, I got on for the vet yesterday before we did the blocking. I wanted to get a good idea of his level of soundness for that day (since like I said, it's always so different, but always the same area at this point). He got cut off in the fetlock area to determine if that swelling was the problem... negative. I think he felt more peppy for the ride (of course, he couldn't feel the swelling/pain in that area), but his movement is still restricted and the hop/jump into canter is still there. I got off, but a thunder storm rolled in so we didn't block the knee area. We plan on doing that today, weather dependent.

So what now? Well, we need to block the knee to see if that has anything to do with it. If that's not the case, his shoulder needs to be blocked to rule out or discover that as the source of the issue. The vet wants him to go to a specialist since it's a tough area. Depending on today's findings, a hospital trip may be in the future. I'm excited to get to the bottom of this and to find out what is bothering him because stress and anxiety are going strong. From there, I'll be able to decide on our future together and what's fair for each of us (worst case).

The vet asked, "do you just love riding or is this the horse you need to ride?" It got me choked up because to keep him where he is, he'd have to be able to be ridden to some extent. He's only 7, and I don't even think I can argue that 20 years (or more) of hanging out is justifiable for board like I have. Other options? I could take him to my parents backyard like I used to have when I was younger and at home. Fair? No. It's not fair to him because I wouldn't see him much, and it's not fair to my parents because they want to sell their house at some point in the next 5 years or so to downsize. He wouldn't have companionship, and he wouldn't have anyone to keep his active mind and personality busy. Find him a companion type home where I can visit - option. Give him back? ...don't think I can do it, but it's come up. Yes, I know, I'm thinking ahead, but so much is going through my mind. I just hope we get some answers soon.