Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Cardinal - Not Horse Related

So this morning I get to work, and I see a bird going insane. A cardinal is flapping like crazy flying into the mirror and window of a truck. What? I took a video (one minute but I watched it for a good 5 - 10) of it because I assumed that it was looking at itself and was intrigued. Well, I was wrong... someone at work let me know there was an article in the press talking about how they are aggressive, and they fly into windows all the time. LOL.


Article: http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/press/new_jersey/nature-s-way-cardinals-will-fight-own-reflection-in-window/article_fc3d7e24-bb7e-11e2-9443-001a4bcf887a.html

I love that this article calls them "raging spring hormones."

Then, today at lunch, I run a few errands, come back to the parking lot, and someone that works next door that I speak to every now and then walks up with it in his hand! It was biting him and screaming for dear life. He's like, "Look, this was in my truck!" I laughed. He said that it comes back each and every year and has the same nasty ritual with his truck mirrors as well as another truck's window in the parking lot.

Interesting bird. I've only ever been attacked by a blue jay, but I'll be sure to steer clear of these beautiful birds, as well.

2 comments:

  1. Birds from this family are the WORST to handle. They bite like nobody's business. Chickadees are evil little bastards in hand, too. Fortunately I haven't had to handle many like this over the years. Warblers are little saints, and when they do want to bite it doesn't hurt. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So mean! I had a parakeet growing up, and why people want them as pets is beyond me! I mean, I guess you CAN get a nice one, but most I have met are SOUR! And their beaks are no joke! Handling birds is an evil job! p.s. I can't comment on your blog :(

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!