Thursday, May 9, 2013

Have to Rant

So I haven't been able to get out to the barn this week. My life has been ripping apart our new house. We've got WAY too much to do between the wallpaper, trashed flooring, and PAINT! I have to paint to get the carpets and hardwood installed, but it's a lot to get completed after work when it's getting dark. Ahh! Hopefully this weekend I can get some done, but I also want the opportunity to ride. Mother's Day is also an event that will keep this weekend's schedule interesting and hectic.

On to more ranting... I know that other people have stb's and they are used for all sorts of disciplines. Have you come across those people that say "they aren't bred for that" or "what do you plan on doing with him?" It's super frustrating to hear, but I see plenty of people doing whatever they want with them... and they do it. Stb's will do anything they are asked to do. They try REALLY hard, and they are capable. Why is it that the questions always come up? Yes, it's not as easy as having a "normal" horse, but they can do anything that any other horse can do. OK - rant over as I can keep going on this topic for hours, but no need to make anyone bored.

On another note, it's nice to connect with people to see what they look like and what their life is about. Who is on Facebook? My profile is always full of life updates, current events, and horsey pictures. Find me on Facebook.

4 comments:

  1. A Stb isn't even a racehorse in my mind haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. what do you consider them? I follow a few blogs where people do all sorts with them, but I get fed up when people think they just race. I've seen plenty of breeders that ride them if they are too slow!

      Delete
  2. I have been told MANY times that my horse "wasn't bred for that." I ignored them and pursued my goals, however...I do believe that if you are serious about ribbons outside of the STB classes, you should go with a different breed. Standardbreds are discriminated against in many disciplines at shows so if you are looking to sweep up at the 'A' rated shows, I would go for a different breed. But if you are looking for a fun, all-around, amazing horse...the STB is the way to go! I gave my guy back to his original owner because I, as a rider, outgrew his potential and realized that it wasn't fair to try to make him do something he wasn't comfortable doing. He is a great w/t, low jumping horse, but to try to completely rewire his body at the canter and for higher fences was simply unfair to him. That's just my opinion and decision. I fully support anyone who has STB's no matter what they do with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "HE is a stb?" Get that all the time, too! I haven't shown in any stb classes/shows, but I have done the local 4-h shows. The farm where I board has schooling jumper shows and they are having a schooling event for pony club, but we have to get over some courses before we do that... and we need to canter before we do that! My horse has quite the canter, but going to a fence would be scary if he paced! We'll stick to cross rails until we figure it out, but def. not trying to jump 3' courses! I'm in it for fun and certainly not expecting to even get to an 'A' rated show on my horse. I have been reading your blog and it sounds like you found a horse that will be better suited for what you want to do, as you said. You're lucky to have been able to give him back to his original owner! "Fun, all-around, amazing horse" is exactly what my plans are! :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!