Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Bloodlines

April's horse Shadow and Spyder are related on the No Nuke's side. I've been doing some research just because I was interested in finding out more about the background, and it's seriously insane that they can be traced back to before I even thought possible (1600's). I wanted to see what breeds I could find, and there are actually a lot that make up Spyder (and Shadow).

I've gone through the No Nukes side where I've found breeding from a lot of thoroughbred, morgan, barb, arabian, trotter, hackney, saddlebred, tennessee walker, and angloarabian thoroughbred (whatever that is) horses. I figured I'd keep this separate so April could read that,too.

Exploring the Abercrombie, Most Happy Fella, Laag, and Tyler B lines, I found that most all stb's tie back to one another (I read this, but never looked for myself). Volomite, Messenger, and Abercrombie were those that I kept seeing the most on every side. From this is more hackney, morgan, trotter, arabian, morab?, thoroughbred, barb, etc.

This is Laag which is how Spyder's mom came about with the gray color. Reading into this more, melanoma is a terrifying thing which is big on this side, AHH! :(
Spyder's great grandfather

4 comments:

  1. FYI - AngloArabians are Thoroughbred/Arabian crosses that can have between 25% and 75% of both breeds. As opposed to Half-Arabians, which must have one purebred parent to be registered as such (even if the resulting foal is more than 50% Arabian). National Show Horses are the same thing as Anglos except with Saddlebreds instead of Thoroughbreds! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWESOME! Thanks for teaching me a lot of new things with all of this unfamiliar-ness I have! haha

      Delete
  2. Anglo Arab is a TB/Arab mix. Standardbreds in general are mostly a cross of Morgans and Thoroughbreds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read up a bit about their background, and it blows my mind! I had fun clicking around a few of the lines and seeing what I could come up with. He's got a nice mix... I just wish the TB was a little more prominent in the canter! LOL!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!