Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Cantering Some More

I can't believe that I am bragging about cantering like it's anything special, but to know I trained my horse with the help of instruction (can't take all of the credit) has given me quite the smile.

I rode today and the practice at the canter paid off from yesterday. Circles are going well, and we cantered to the left and right today! :) It's awesome that Spyder cares about his leads to top it off. Man do I sound boastful! I'm just REALLY happy that we're on track for where I wanted to be headed.

I did a small crossrail and the wishing well jumps keeping in mind a steady trot and steering/leg aids up to and after the jumps. It's great that they help with the canter because we'd have to decide on a direction to pick a lead and balance. He gets a bit pacey when he loses his balance or gets excited, but we're getting much better bringing the pace back to a trot or pushing up to the canter.

On to cantering again, we worked on straight lines? Yeah, "straight lines". Spyder's got his balance in a circle and has the muscles to keep moving, but going in a line, well, that's a whole other task. That will be something we have to work on as he gets a bit pacey/crooked while trying to move straight. What's nice is having him know the cue - he can break the gait, and we'll just pick it up again like it never happened.

Yay cantering! And yes, you can make fun of me for bragging about a canter. It's hard with a stb!

My sweaty cantering machine
Grazing after a great ride!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere! Dom pointed me in your direction, and I always enjoy having new blogs to read!

    When your training your own horse any progress is worth bragging about! The great thing about blogging is you can brag about any and all progress and no matter how small it is, there will always be happy, supportive fellow horse people to cheer you on!

    www.simplyhorse-crazy.blogspot.com

    That's me if your interested:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Followed, thank you! :) I hope that I'll have happy and supportive followers as I know blogging can go VERY wrong, but it's nice to follow and read about people having the same issues and accomplishments. YAY for another blog to read!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!